John is what we would call a true "student of his sport". He combines his extensive racing background in running and triathlons with his formal education and work in the field of exercise physiology (Master's degree) to provide student athletes with the best possible coaching insights, techniques and programs in order for them to reach their full potential.
John has been ranked among the elite runners and age group triathete during his career spanning now over 35 years. As a high schooler he had a PR in the mile of 4:12 and was ranked 10th in mile the United States as a High School Senior. John went on to have successful college career that include a 1500m Junior College All American honor and an All SEC Conference honors at Auburn University in the Steeplechase under head coach Mel Rosen. Mel Rosen was the 1992 Olympic Coach for the US Track and Field team. John had college PR's of, 3:47 1500m, 14:32 5000m and 30:36 10,000m.
After college and several years of road racing John's interest turned to triathlons in 1990 where he found immediate success qualify for the Amateur National championships his first full year of competing. John continued to compete in triathlons with PRs is the Olympic distance triathlon of 1:55 and 4:17 in the Half Ironman.
John has written several training based articles for the Sacramento Bee including articles on training logs, recovery heart rate, rating of perceived exertion and others. He has also coached amateur to pro triathletes with the following success:
- 2009 15th Place Pro field (Male) US Pro National Championships
- 2009 5th Place Pro field (Male) ITU San Francisco
- 2009 2nd Place Pro field (Male) Pacific Grove
- 2009 3rd place (Age group) Armature field US Age Group National Championships
- Overall age group winner at 2008 San Francisco Triathlon
- Age group winner and course record holder at 2008 Ironman Arizona
He has coached athletes in many of the major national and world championships and several ironman races around the world including
- Ironman World Championships, Kona, Hawaii
- Half Ironman World Triathlon Championships, Clearwater, Florida
- X-Terra World Championships, Maui, Hawaii
- Ironman New Zealand, Switzerland, Arizona, Louisville, Wisconsin and Coeur d'Alene